HR Manager, Labor Relations
This organization is one of the largest and fastest growing of their kind. They are an invaluable partner to their client organizations and offer an array of services, most notably employee benefit plans.
The HR Business Partner – Labor Relations acts as a trusted advisor to all levels of management and other HR Business Partners throughout the Midwest to resolve routine to complex employee and labor relations matters while serving as the face of HR for 3 to 5 locations and 200-300 team members.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Travel 25-50%
- Deliver consistent high-quality decisions and counsel to managers, employees and other business partners.
- Serves as the company representative, establishing mutually beneficial outcomes from collective bargaining agreements.
- Identify and analyze employee relations matters and recommend appropriate employment action to maintain a productive work environment, achieve optimal performance, and minimize risk to the Company.
- Counsel other business partners and employees on conduct issues to include: disputes with co-workers, supervisors, subordinates or management; illness and/or disability; and performance challenges. Facilitate dispute resolution.
- Administer and interpret various labor agreements; administer grievance procedures; provide labor relations support during contract negotiations; act as a liaison between managers and union representatives.
- Administer the Company's corrective action program through coaching and counseling managers and employees on performance management, assisting with developing performance improvement plans, and ensuring employee improvement through continuing communication and follow-thru.
- Engage in the interactive dialogue with employees and management to review requests for accommodation for leave, disability, and Workers' Compensation issues. May be involved with sensitive and more complex disability and leave issues and/or Workers' Compensation claims.
- Prepare documentation consistent with Company standards and practices.
- Receive and respond to complaints; conduct investigations with minimal supervision; recommend and resolve problems.
- Monitor unemployment claims.
- Participate in the EEO/Wage and Hour regulatory complaints; may represent the Company at investigative conferences, depositions, unemployment hearings, and meetings.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on complex HR issues with significant impact. Works with senior-level management to adjudicate high-level, complex ER issues.
- Create and conduct trainings and presentations to management and employees within the organization on policies, sexual harassment, legal issues, performance management, mandatory trainings, etc.; train the trainer with business partners on the same.
- Recommend and implement policy and process improvements. Track and report work activities, response time and quality of output. Manage tracking of employee relation complaints.
- Perform other duties and special projects as required.
- Handles all core responsibilities independently with confidence, updating senior-level team members as appropriate.
The Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of this manager-level position. This includes, but is not limited to the following competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, Communications, Business, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of Senior HR Generalist and/or employee/labor relations experience, consulting on moderate to complex employee relations issues.
- PHR/SPHR certification preferred.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to proactively manage and administer a broad range of tasks, including resolving complaints, counseling managers and employees on the interpretation of policies, procedures, and union agreements.
- Commitment to maintaining the highest level of confidentiality when dealing with personal information, compensation and benefit information.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources management and supervision in a union environment.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions in a manner consistent with Company policies, practices and culture.
- Ability to prepare written reports and correspondences; create and roll-out presentations and trainings to leadership and employees.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable state and federal employment and labor laws and governmental compliance requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a customer service approach to problem solving.
- Inspires trust and open communication.
- Promotes teamwork and collaboration.
- Solid utilization of business software Microsoft Office Suite, HRIS.
- Possession of self-starting, self-motivated attitude.
- Desire to work independently, with creative flexibility.
The HR Business Partner – Labor Relations will be a skilled member of the HR leadership team. As such, they will receive a competitive compensation package, to include:
- Competitive salary.
- Full suite of health benefits.
- Ability to participate in the company’s retirement plan.
- Opportunity for growth.