Senior Manager, Benefits and Leaves - Human Resources
This organization is the largest and fastest growing provider of employee benefits in the US. They are well-known as an employer of choice in the greater Settle area and the leader in their industry. Due to the organization’s rapid growth and the organization’s unique value of HR leaders, HR professionals experience the opportunity to cross train and advance to new levels much faster than most organizations across the US.
Reporting to the Sr. Vice President of Human Resources, the Sr. Manager of Benefits and Leaves leads and manages a team that is responsible for the delivery of the group benefit and leave of absence programs. This hands-on managerial role will partner extensively with internal stakeholders and external partners on strategy, design and delivery of employee benefits. In addition to ensuring a positive employee experience with our programs, this role will also have shared responsibility with internal ERISA Counsel for all regulatory requirements for plans and programs.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leads the development of benefit plan design recommendations using available data to identify trends, working with and managing brokers/consultants, and understanding the employee benefits landscape for new innovative ideas. This includes the development of executive-level presentation materials and documents to support any recommendations.
- Leads benefits on any M&A due diligence and post-acquisition integration activities.
- Manages benefit billing process for 55 different health and welfare plans and payments to providers and vendors.
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of multi-employer plans.
- Leads the management of the 401(k) Retirement Plan Committee, including working with external legal counsel and investment consultants.
- In partnership with Finance, leads the work effort for determining annual benefits budget, tracking monthly benefits spend, and identifying areas for effective cost stewardship.
- Works closely with internal legal counsel to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Leads the work effort to identify new suppliers to support benefit offerings, drive the completion and negotiation of contracts, and work with internal partners for implementation efforts.
- In-depth knowledge of benefit trends, best practices, and regulatory issues.
- Understanding of and ability to integrate benefits into a total compensation offering to employees.
- Manages the Annual Benefit Open Enrollment.
- Partners with the Accounting Department to provide financial information, as required.
- Benefits software administration and maintenance.
- Assists with special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Supports the mission, vision and values of the company and the team through role modeling and encouraging desired behaviors.
The Successful Candidate
The successful candidate will demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of this manager-level position. This includes, but is not limited to the following competencies:
- 10+ years of benefits or program management work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- CEBS certification preferred.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance affecting employee benefit programs to include ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, ACA, SECTION 125, Workers’ Compensation, Medicare, Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Experience with benefits design and delivery.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the proven ability to effectively manage, influence, negotiate and communicate with business partners and teams to meet operational goals.
- Strong business judgment and a practical, common sense approach to getting things done.
- Demonstrated bias for action with strengths in problem solving, issue-resolution, ability to work in an ambiguous and deadline-driven work environment, attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent project management skills with a proven ability to design workable solutions, manage multiple initiatives simultaneously, prioritize workloads, meet deadlines, and successfully implement projects.
- Experience influencing executives, in partnership with cross functional business leaders, to gain approvals on proposals and recommendations.
- Proven track record of working effectively with people across a complex organization to create and launch innovative, successful solutions.
- Inspires trust and open communication.
- Solid utilization of business software Microsoft Office Suite, HRIS.
- Travel: 10% minimum.
The Sr. Manager of Benefits and Leaves is a skilled member of the HR leadership team. As such, they will receive a competitive compensation package, to include:
- Generous base salary.
- Full suite of health benefits.
- Life Insurance.
- Short and long-term disability.
- 401(K) plan with generous employee match.
- 11 Holidays each year.